Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 3: Welcome to Inman Middle School

5:30 am - Wake up. Get dressed. Pack up. Go to dining Hall. Eat.
6:10 am - Butt in seat on bus. If you miss the bus, you must pay for your own cab. The bus waits for no one.
This is my ride to and from institute. I feel a little like I'm back in elementary school.
6:30 am - 6 pm

Learn, learn learn!
 Lesson plans.
  Literacy, literacy, literacy!

Today was long and incredibly productive. Next week (not the end of this week like I thought before) I will be teaching summer school at Inman Middle School. I will teach eighth graders (I got bumped up from sixth). My students will not be remedial (they were not held back) but rather, they will be students whose families (for whatever reason) want them in school to learn the first part of next years curriculum.

The front doors of Inman Middle School.
Inman middle school is in the middle of (what appears to me to be) a pretty well-off area. The school building is nice, clean, and air-conditioned. The students that are coming into my classroom for summer session are not from Inman. Summer session will feed from students from a variety of nearby schools, many of whom are struggling. Even for those students who achieve in the ninetieth percentile on Georgia state exams are only answering about 50% of the the questions correctly.

I exercised today. I called a lot of people. There is so much work to do, but for now I am still happy to do it.

Today's Lesson: Do not under any circumstance take an afternoon nap. (It throws off your whole sleep schedule.)

No comments:

Post a Comment